EncinoIn 1769, the Spanish Portolá expedition, the first Europeans to see inland areas of California, traveled north through Sepulveda Pass into the San Fernando Valley on August 5 and stayed two nights at a native village near what is now Los Encinos State Historic Park. Fray Juan Crespi, a Franciscan missionary traveling with the expedition, named the valley “El Valle de Santa Catalina de Bolonia de Los Encinos” (The Valley of St. Catherine of Bologna of the Holm Oaks). All of Crespi’s name was later dropped except “Encino”. Rancho Los Encinos (Ranch of Holm Oaks) was established in 1845 when a large parcel of former Mission San Fernando land was granted to three Mission Indians by governor Pio Pico. Many ranchos were created after the secularization of the California missions, which began in 1834. Encino derives its name from the rancho. Provided by: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.